1. Happiness depends upon ourselves.
2. All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion and desire.
3. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
4. Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
5. The soul never thinks without a picture.
6. Hope is a waking dream.
7. All man by nature desire knowledge.
8. The secret to humor is surprise.
9. You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
10. A friend to all is a friend to none.
11. My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake.
12. Those who educate children well are more to be honored than they who produce them; for these only gave them life, those the art of living well.